Use this simple technique to keep your sponge free from harmful bacteria
Dishwashing sponges see constant use in the kitchen, and after coming into contact with so many surfaces, they can accumulate harmful bacteria over time. The damp conditions provides the ideal breeding ground for bacteria to thrive.
It's impractical to toss out a sponge after a single use, so instead you can disinfect it in the microwave.
To disinfect your sponge, simply run it under cold water, then put it on a plate. Put the plate in the microwave and zap it for 2 minutes on high.
When you remove the sponge, the plate will be very hot, so use an oven mit.
Rinse the sponge, then leave it to air dry. Bonus tip: use a bulldog clip to create a handy sponge holder.
Do this every second day to minimise the risk of bacteria.
CAUTION: Don't microwave sponges if they contain metal.